In the center of the city of London is one of the best sites known as the Piccadilly Circus which was built in 1819 to connect two of the main streets of that time, Regent Street and Piccadilly, it currently communicates with the theaters located on Shaftesbury Avenue and the Haymarket, Coventry Street and Glasshouse Street.
Its proximities to the main shopping and entertainment areas, it is a central location in the heart of the West End, and the fact that it is the largest intersection of traffic have made Piccadilly Circus an important meeting point also a tourist attraction in itself.
This intersection is known for its large video screens and neon billboards, as well as the Shaftesbury memorial fountain and the statue known as Eros. It is surrounded by a large number of remarkable buildings, including the London Pavilion and the Criterion Theater.
This intersection is known for its large video screens and neon billboards, as well as for the Shaftesbury memorial fountain and the statue known as Eros. It is surrounded by a large number of remarkable buildings, including the London Pavilion and the Criterion Theater. Under the square is the Piccadilly Circus station of the London Underground.
In 1626 the Piccadilly Hall, belonging to Robert Baker, a famous tailor for selling piccadillies, term used to name several types of neck. The crossing laced to a circular shape in 1886 with the construction of Shaftesbury Avenue.
The union of these streets has endured a very dense traffic flow since its construction as it stands in the center of Theatreland, the main theater district of London; it supports outbound traffic from Piccadilly.
The Piccadilly Circus Underground Station was opened on March 10, 1906 at the Bakerloo Line, and on the Piccadilly Line in December of that year in 1928 the station was largely rebuilt to with stand and increase traffic.
The first electric signs of the intersection appeared in 1910, and in 1923 electric billboards were placed on the facade of the London Pavilion. The first traffic lights were installed on August 3rd in 1926 on the intersection.
The Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain at Piccadilly Circus started in use on 1893.
During the Second World War, the statue above the fountain was replaced by billboards until 1948, when it was returned. During the reconstruction work of the “circus” in the past 80s, the entire source was moved from the center of the union, at the beginning of Shaftesbury Avenue, to its current position.
On the southwestern side of the Circus, moved from its original central position, is the memorial fountain to the Shaftesbury Monument, used in 1886-1893 to commemorate Lord Shaftesbury’s philanthropist work. The statue of Alfred Gilbert represents a nude statue in flight, officially known as The Angel of Christian Charity. Popularly known as Eros after the mythical Greek God of Love. The statue has become an icon of London and is fixed to a bronze fountain.
The use of a naked figure in a public monument generated controversy at the time of its construction, but it was well received by the public.
The Criterion Theater, a prominently grade two building, is located on the south face of Piccadilly Circus. Apart from the box office area, the entire theater, with approximately 600 seats, is underground and is reached by a descendant tile staircase.
The Criterion Theater, a prominently grade two building, is located on the south face of Piccadilly Circus. Apart from the box office area, the entire theater, with approximately 600 seats, is underground and is reached by a descendant tile staircase. The columns are used to support both the box and vault area, restricting the visibility of many of the interior seats.
The theater was designed by Thomas Verity and opened as a theater on March 21, 1874, although the original plans consisted of turning it into a concert hall. In 1883 it was forced to close to improve ventilation and to replace the gas lamps with electric lights, it was re-opened the following year. The theater closed in 1989 and was extensively restored, re-opening in October 1992.
On the northeast side of Piccadilly Circus, at the corner between Shaftesbury Avenue and Coventry Street, is the London Pavilion. The first building to bear this name was built in 1859, and was a music hall. In 1885, Shaftesbury Avenue was built where Pavilion was located. A new London Pavilion was built, which was also used as a music hall. In 1923, electrical announcements were installed on the facade of the building.
n 1934, the building underwent a significant structural alteration and converted into a movie theater. In 1986, the building was remodeled, preserving the facade of 1885, and converted into a shopping place. In 2000, the building was joined by the neighboring Trocadero Center, and the building’s sign then modified in 2003 to “London Trocadero”. The basement of the building connects with the Piccadilly Circus metro station.
The most important store previously Tower Records, now acquired by Virgin Megastore, is located at Number 1 Piccadilly, on the west side between Regent Street and Piccadilly, directly facing Piccadilly Circus. There is a direct exit to the metro station in the basement. The store that makes competition, HMV also has an access inside the London Trocadero.
illywhites is the largest retail store of sports equipment located on the south side, near the Shaftesbury fountain. It was moved to its current place in 1925.
The Piccadilly Circus tube station of the London Underground is directly under Piccadilly Circus itself, with entrances on each corner. It is one of the few stations that do not have associated buildings and is completely underground. It is by itself a remarkable Grade 2 building.
The station is located on the Piccadilly Line between Green Park and Leicester Square, and the Bakerloo Line between Charing Cross and Oxford Circus.
Metronet, one of the three private operators of the London Underground under an agreement through a partnership, is investing about 14 million pounds to restore the Picadilly Circus station. Most of the planned improvements include a new plant and wall finishes, a new CCTV system, new points of assistance, a new public address system, new electronic information panels, improved seating locations, waterproofing measures, improvements to assist to the visually impaired and improvements in lighting. Electric escalators will be replaced.
Virtual Reality (VR)
Virtual reality images for virtual reality glasses viewing in mobile devices
There are no limits to see the world: live the experience by yourself in virtual reality !
Join us !
How was this Virtual Tour made
The equipment used to perform virtual tour are the following:
- Nikon D810 DSLR Camera
- Lens Sigma 8 mm Fisheye
- Nodal Ninja NN4 Tripod Head
- Manfrotto 190 Carbon Fiber Tripod
- Remote Switch
The software processing of the image was
- Lightroom to process RAW files
- PTGui for stitching images
- Photoshop general and local settings
- PanoTour Pro for generating virtual tour
Would you like to use this virtual tour in your website?
Good news! Yes, you can use without asking for permission. Our site is licensed under "Creative Commons – Acknowledgement 4.0 International", This type of license allows you:
- To Share- copy, distribute, execute and use the artwork publicly.
- To Make derivative works.
- To Use the artwork for commercial purposes.
This means that you must assign the credits of the work in the following way:
"Picadilly Circus, Fotografía (cc): Miguel Angel Victoria"
You need to copy the following code and paste the link in your website:
Picadilly Circus by Miguel Angel Victoria is licensed under Licencia Creative Commons Reconocimiento 4.0 Internacional . Created from the artwork retrieved from https://sinaloa360.s3.amazonaws.com/picadilly-circus/index.html. You can find more permissions under this license in https://www.sinaloa360.com
Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa
Traducción al idioma inglés realizada por la Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa a través del Centro de Estudio de Idiomas Culiacán. English language translation made by Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa through the collaboration of Centro de Estudio de Idiomas Culiacán