By the last decade of the last century, a group of devout people followers of the Holy Sacrament formed a committee responsible to create a temple to advocate it.
So, Pedro Loza y Pardavé along with the committee organized a competition among some architects and engineers to choose the project for the temple.
They decided Architect Adamo Boari’s (well-known Italian architect brought by Porfirio Díaz, who built Teatro de Bellas Artes and Correo Mayor in the capital) which details remain the Italian gothic style.
Its construction started after a ceremony offered by Archbishop Pedro Loza y Parvadé in company of canon Pedro Romero, and the first stone was placed in August 15th, 1897.
By 1911, the interior columns were finished up to the numerous spires height.
Its construction started after a ceremony offered by Archbishop Pedro Loza y Parvadé, and the first stone was placed in August 15th, 1897.
The people in charge of the construction were canon Pedro Romero and the foreman Feliciano Arias, and his son Jerónimo Arias after his death.
During the revolution, the work was stopped due to religious persecution as the lack of security and an extremely serious economic crisis.
The estimated population in that period was approximately 100 000 people.
In February, 1924, Pedro Romero died and the charge of the construction of the temple passed to Bishop José Garibi Rivera who immediately asked Engineer Luis Ugarte to help him with the work.
In February, 1924, Pedro Romero died and the charge of the construction of the temple passed to Bishop José Garibi Rivera.
Everything was still going well and in January, 1927, Architect Ignacio Díaz Morales continued the erection of the temple until it was completed in 1972.
The doors of the temple were made of granadilla wood by Jesús Gómez Velazco, and got embedded bronze figures by Benito Castañeda, the three tympanums on the facade were made of Italian mosaic in the mosaic factory of Vatican, which are representations to some Saints, the one of the nave in the middle to Lamb of God, the one of the nave on the east to St. Tarcisius, and the other to Pope Saint Pius X.
They were designed by the expert painter of Vatican museums Francisco Bencivenga, who also supervised their placing.
A beauty four-faced clock with illuminated faces and a carillon with 25 bells that play musical pieces such as religious and profane were brought from Germany.
The doors of the temple were made of granadilla wood by Jesús Gómez Velazco, and got embedded bronze figures by Benito Castañeda
The same carillon can be played using the keyboard that is on the choir; the clock ́s price was approximately $450, 000 pesos and was installed by German technicians.
When a musical piece is played, it is accompanied by the pilgrimage of the figures of the twelve apostles who originally were set at 9 am, 12 pm and 6 pm.
These are some of the 25 musical pieces that has the carillon: Ave María, Himno Nacional, Las Mañanitas, Guadalajara, Adiós Mariquita Linda, México Lindo y Querido, La Marcha de Zacatecas, etc.
The temple is built mostly of carved stone as in the Middle Age, and what attract the attention are its stained glasses made by Jaques y Gerard Degusseau from Orleans, France according to the artist and painter Maurice Rocher from Paris.
How this Virtual Tour was made
The spherical photography of temples has always been one of my favorite because of the beauty of their paintings and architecture; nevertheless, it is necessary to be careful in some situations.
First of all, it has to be done with a lot of respect to the temple and the people who are inside in the moment, to ask for permits, and if possible to ask for turning on all the lights, that helps to obtain a better image.
Another big difficulty is the high contrast between the illumination and the stained glasses or windows that could be there.
I have found as a formidable solution using an overexposed photo and one underexposed with two “stops”, and fusing them by using luminance masks in Photoshop.
The result is really good.
English language translation made by Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa through the collaboration of Centro de Estudio de Idiomas