The village church, formerly the chapel of the Our Lady of Sorrows Hacienda, is considered a historical monument of the municipality of Mocorito. Alongside is the rehabilitated building of the Pericos Hacienda, now the Casa Peiro Cultural Center

Go Virtual Tour

Know by Virtual Reality The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows

Both buildings, one civil and the other religious, date back to the 18th century. The first probably began construction in the second half of the century, around 1765, and the Chapel in 1795, completing construction in 1802. The old church in the village of Pericos was erected in honor of Our Lady of Sorrows, the patron saint of the Hacienda due to the adoption by its founder, Don Francisco Peyró Grammon, a Spanish immigrant who had Doña Josefa Pérez as his first wife.

Our Lady of Sorrows – Patroness of the Hacienda

The religious passage that narrates the descent of Christ’s body from the Cross after his death depicts the Virgin Mary, his mother, reflecting anguish on her face as she receives the lifeless body of her beloved son at the foot of the cross. Despite it being prophesied to her, she fulfilled her long and anguished destiny by watching him die.

Altar Capilla de Nuestra Señora de Las Angustias

The scene motivates the invocation of the Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Sorrows.

Don Carlos Enrique Rubio Juárez, writing about the Patroness of the people of Pericos and her temple in the magazine “Presagio,” tells us: “The mentioned biblical passage moved the spouses Josefa Pérez and Francisco Pairo Gramón, as in Francisco’s will, it stipulates that his first wife, who passed away in 1795, requested that 2,495 pesos be taken from the Fifth of his assets for the material construction of the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows.”

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Las Angustias

Wish that was crystallized by her husband in the years 1800-1801, a date engraved on the altar of that house of God.

The chapel was built on the northeast side of the Hacienda’s estate, on a hill, the highest part, symbolizing the power of the church, with the purpose of being the sacred place where the mortal remains of Doña Josefa Pérez, his wife, would rest.

Today, the old temple of the Pericos Hacienda has become the village church with the same invocation of the Virgin Mary as Our Lady of Sorrows, the patroness of the people of Pericos. Undoubtedly, it’s a rare jewel of colonial architecture in Sinaloa that has stood for over two hundred years.

Lic. Jaime Félix Pico

Text: Lic. Jaime Félix Pico

Cronista y Promotor Cultural

Suscríbete a nuestro Newsletter

Como se hizo este Tour Virtual

Pericos es un poblado del municipio de Mocorito que se encuentra a 45 kilómetros de Culiacán. En esta ocasión salimos muy temprano para hacer fotografías al amanecer. La Capilla de Nuestra Señora de Las Angustias es una verdadera joya que vale la pena visitar.

Use our photos

Our photos have “Creative Commons“ license. This license allows you to use our photos, without needing permission, legally. When using the photos, the only requirement is that you provide credit as follows: 

“Photography: Miguel Angel Victoria / Sinaloa 360”

English translation made by Diego González Yáñez, student at PrepaTec Campus Sinaloa. Tecnológico de Monterrey.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *